Out & About
July 11 through August 25, 2017
July 11 through August 25, 2017
• Registration Deadline: Friday, June 30, 2017, delivered by 4 pm or postmarked no later than June 30.
• Photo Entries Submitted: Friday, July 7, 2017 by 2 pm.
• Exhibit Opens: July 11 at 12 noon.
• People’s Choice Voting: July 11 through August 16.
• Awards Presentations: Thursday, August 17 from 5 to 6:30 pm at the MAFAC Arts Center. Participants and the public are invited.
• Exhibit Closes: Friday, August 25.
• Pick up entries on or after Tuesday, August 29.
• Photos not picked up by November 1 become the property of MAFAC.
2017 Entry Categories
Shoot images that are beautiful cast shadows, or silhouettes. The shadow or silhouette should be a main part of the subject, not just something that is unavoidably seen in the photograph. Being very aware of the location of your light source will be your friend on this theme.
Get Out of Marshall!
This is travel photography. Share your exotic travels, as well as scenes closer to home. In either case, these pictures are of places outside Lyon County. They could be scenes, people, or events encountered in your travels.
Creativity • Technical Merit
Composition • Presentation
Adherence to Category Description
Best of Show...........................$35
1st Place Each Theme.............$25
2nd Place Each Theme............$10
People’s Choice Award
selected by Art Center Visitors
• Entry Fee. $10 per photograph.
• Limit of two entries per person. Both may be in the same category. Entries must be registered by June 30, 4 pm.
• Traditional black/white or color. Work produced by digital cameras or digitally manipulated photos will be accepted.
• Size restrictions:
• Photo image—minimum 8" x 10" or 80 sq in.
• Finished work (including matting and/or framing)—maximum 16" x 20" or 320 sq in.
• Matting, if used, must be black, cream or white.
• Works from previous MAFAC photography competitions are not eligible.
• Each photographer agrees to follow the rules and guidelines as outlined.
• Photographers must be 14 years or older.
• Photos are not eligible if used for class assignment or with instructor assistance.
• All items must be labeled on the back with photographer's name, address, phone number, email address, photograph title, and entry category.
• All photographs must be ready for hanging.
• Photographs must be left up during the entire exhibit.
• Each photographer will complete the MAFAC Waiver of Claims form. Photos may be offered for sale by completing MAFAC Artist Consignment Agreement.
• MAFAC assumes no liability for photos. By entering this competition the individual has given permission that his/her photo may be used on the MAFAC website, MAFAC promotion materials, and MAFAC’s Facebook page and other social media.
Click to button download brochure or stop by MAFAC to pick up a copy.
MAFAC activities are made possible in part by a grant from the Southwest Minnesota Arts Council (SMAC) with funds appropriated by the State Legislature and/or by the Minnesota Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund as appropriated by the Minnesota State Legislature with money from the vote of the people of Minnesota on November 4, 2008.